Firearm Safety for Teachers
Did you know...
- Guns are in more than one third of all U.S. households? They're a very real danger to children, whether you own one or not.
- Of the 192 million firearms owned in the United States, 65 million are handguns? Research shows guns in homes are a serious risk to families.
- A gun kept in the home is far more likely to kill someone known to the family than to kill or injure a household member than kill or injure an intruder?
- A gun kept in the home triples the risk of homicide?
- The risk of suicide is five times more likely if a gun is kept in the home?
Use these tips to ensure that the children in your care are safe from firearms:
- Even if there isn't a gun in their household, chances are there is one in their friend's or neighbor's home. That's why it's important to talk to kids about the potential dangers of guns, and what to do if they find one:
- Stop what they are doing.
- Never touch or play with any gun.
- Immediately leave the area where a gun is located.
- Tell an adult.
For more information, please visit the following websites: