Proximate Audience Pyrotechnic Licenses - (No ATF Clearance Required) Close shoots, a display that occurs within a building or structure or outside before and audience within 75ft of the pyrotechnics.
- Must be 18 yrs of age,
- Successfully completes the minimum training requirements established by the NC State Fire Marshal,
- Proof of # Shoots - You must have acted as the lead operator in all three shoots (copies of previous permits issued in your name, or an affidavit signed by the code official on county or city letterhead indicating their personal knowledge of your pyrotechnic experience).
- Submit online Application (and include/attach all the following information within the online application:
- Color Photo; 2"x2", taken within last six months(Example: Passport photo)
- Copy of Driver License/Government Issued ID,
- Affidavit (must be ink seal Notarized, raised seals can not be uploaded)
- Approved Class Completion Verification (8hrs min for initial Application, 12 hrs minimum for renewals)
- ATF Questions Answered and Digitally Signed
- ATF License number (Individual/Employer) and expiration date
- Copy of Professional Licenses held in other states; photocopy all listed licenses if applying for reciprocity.
- Proximate Pyrotechnic Operator Application Fee Payment of $100.00 with a testing fee of $10.00. Mail check or money order payable to "The North Carolina Department of Insurance."
North Carolina Office of State Fire Marshal
Attn: Pyrotechnic Licensing
1202 Mail Service Center
Raleigh NC, 27699-1202
APPLICATION FEES and TESTING FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE AND EXPIRE AFTER ONE YEAR OF INACTIVITY.
- Once application is received and approved, you will receive notification of approval to test and MUST pay testing fee prior to being eligible to test.
The individual successfully passes an examination approved by the State Fire Marshal that demonstrates the individual has the knowledge to safely handle, store, and exhibit Class 1.4g, 1.3g, 1.2g, and 1.1g pyrotechnics or provides satisfactory evidence of current certification by a third party acceptable to the State Fire Marshal(Reciprocity- must upload copies of all current out of state licenses to show as proof).
Proximate Audience Operators Renewals:
Renewals require 12 hours of continuing education and a minimum of three shoots over the three year licensing period. Your renewal application should include verification of your 12 continuing education hours (certificates etc.) and a renewal Experience Affidavit signed by a company representative.