Please bear with us as we move to our new location in the Ablemarle Building on 325 N. Salisbury Street, Raleigh, NC this week and next week. Our mailing address will still be 1202 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1202.
All phone numbers will remain the same. Please call our main number for assistance – 919-647-0000.
1.3g Pyrotechnic Operator: – (*ATF Clearance Required*) Large scale Fireworks, large professional fireworks used in public displays such as theme parks, baseball games, concerts, 4th of July displays). MUST be 21!
- Must be 21 yrs of age,
- Successfully completes the minimum training requirements established by the NC State Fire Marshal,
- Proof of # Shoots – You must have assisted a display operator as an assistant display operator in the exhibition, use, or display of pyrotechnics at a concert or public exhibition, as allowed under Article 54 of Chapter 14 of the General Statutes, on at least three occasions, or is a proximate audience display operator.
- Submit online Application (and include/attach all the following information within the online application):
- Color Photo; 2"x2", taken within last six months(Example: Passport photo)
- Copy of Driver License/Government Issued ID,
- Proof of # Shoots (Proof of three shows; you must have acted as the lead operator in all three. Experience can be indicated on the "Experience Affidavit" referenced under "Letter of Clearance" above and located on the OSFM web site, or can be documented by providing copies of permits issued in operator’s name.)
- Affidavit (must be ink seal Notarized, raised seals can not be uploaded),
- Approved Class Completion Verification (8hrs min for initial
- ATF Questions Answered and Digitally Signed,
- ATF License number (Individual/Employer) and expiration date
- ATF Clearance verification (FEDERAL REGULATIONS REGARDING RESPONSIBLE PARTIES REQUIRE ALL 1.3 LICENSED PYROTECHNIC OPERATORS AND ASSISTANTS TO HAVE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING: (A) A BATFE LICENSE OR PERMIT, (B) A LETTER OF CLEARANCE AND AN "EXPERIENCE AFFIDAVIT FROM THE LICENSE HOLDER UNDERWHICH YOU ARE CONTRACTED OR EMPLOYED, (C) AN EMPLOYEE POSSESSOR QUESTIONNAIRE AND AN "EXPERIENCE AFFIDAVIT" FROM THE LICENSE HOLDER UNDER WHICH YOU ARE CONTRACTED OR EMPLOYED.) LICENSES RECEIVED BY PROVIDING AN "EMPLOYEE POSSESSOR QUESTIONAIRE" WILL RESULT IN A SIX MONTH REVIEW OF THE LICENSE UNITL DOCUMENTATION FROM THE BATFE IS RECEIVED. THE LICENSED OPERATOR IS RESPONSIBLE FOR PROVIDING DOCUMENTATION OF THEIR LETTER OF CLEARANCE UPON RECEIPT.
- Copy of Professional Licenses held in other states; photocopy all listed licenses if applying for reciprocity.
- 1.3 Operator Application Fee Payment of $100.00 with a testing fee of $10.00. Mail check or money order payable to "The North Carolina Department of Insurance."
North Carolina Office of State Fire Marshal
Attn: Pyrotechnic Licensing
1202 Mail Service Center
Raleigh NC, 27699-1202
APPLICATION FEES and TESTING FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE AND EXPIRE AFTER ONE YEAR OF INACTIVITY.
- Once application is received and approved, you will receive notification of approval to test and request to pay testing fee prior to being eligible to test.
The individual successfully passes an examination approved by the State Fire Marshal that demonstrates the individual has the knowledge to safely handle, store, and exhibit Class 1.4g, 1.3g, 1.2g, and 1.1g pyrotechnics or provides satisfactory evidence of current certification by a third party acceptable to the State Fire Marshal(Reciprocity- must upload copies of all current out of state licenses to show as proof).
1.3g Operators Renewals:
Renewals require 12 hours of continuing education and a minimum of three shoots over the three year licensing period. Your renewal application should include verification of your 12 continuing education hours (certificates etc.) and all required documents listed above.