Please bear with us as we move to our new location in the Ablemarle Building on 325 N. Salisbury Street, Raleigh, NC this week and next week. Our mailing address will still be 1202 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1202.
All phone numbers will remain the same. Please call our main number for assistance – 919-647-0000.
Engineering and Codes
Home Inspector Licensure Board
N.C. Gen. Stat. §150B-21.3A, adopted in 2013, requires state agencies to review existing rules every 10 years. An initial review will be completed during the next five years, and thereafter rules will be reviewed on a 10-year review cycle. The NC Department of Insurance’s rules are located in Title 11 of the NC Administrative Code. Rules under Title 11 will be reviewed on a schedule established by the Rules Review Commission. The following rules from Chapter 8 of Title 11 are currently under review and available for comment:
- N.C. Code Officials Qualification Board – Sections .0500, .0600, .0700, .0800
- N.C. Home Inspector Licensure Board – Sections .1000, .1100, .1200, .1300
- NC Department of Insurance - .0200, .0400, .1500
The Department of Insurance, N.C. Code Officials Qualification Board, and N.C. Home Inspector Licensure Board are required to evaluate each of the existing rules and make an initial determination from one of these three classifications:
- Necessary with substantive public interest – the agency has received public comment on the rule within the past two years or the rule affects the property interest of the regulated public, and the agency knows or suspects that any person may object to the rule.
- Necessary without substantive public interest – the agency determines that the rule is needed, and the rule has not had public comment in the last two years. This category includes rules that identify information that is readily available to the public, such as an address or telephone number.
- Unnecessary – the agency determines that the rule is obsolete, redundant or otherwise not needed.
If you would like to receive notices regarding rules undergoing rules review that are open for public comment under N.C. Gen. Stat. §150B-21.3A, please request to be added to our DOI Rules listserve by emailing NCDOIrules@lists.ncmail.net.
Instructions on submitting a Comment
Each rule has been classified by their respective rule-making bodies. The comment period for public comments ends on May 8, 2017at 5:00 PM. The public may provide comments to a rule through mail or email at:
NC Department of Insurance
1201 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1201
Subject: Rules Comment
A public comment is defined as, a written comment objecting to the rule, in whole or in part, received by an agency from any member of the public, including an association or other organization representing the regulated community or other members of the public (G.S. 150B-21.3A(5)).
The North Carolina Home Inspector Licensure Board (NCHILB) is chartered to safeguard the public health, safety, and welfare - protect the public from being harmed by unqualified persons by regulating the use of the title "Licensed Home Inspector" and by providing for the licensure and regulation of those who perform home inspections for compensation.
Online Payments Require
Internet Explorer (IE)